UF Preview

hey guys i just got back from University of Florida orientation. i've decided to major in history, because it has a lot of freedom and only a few absolutely required classes. because i want to go into the ministry as soon as possible, and figure that i need some sort of college degree to get hired by a church, i put myself on the fast track since i already have a lot of credits that go towards the history major. wow, i'm tired and can't write anything but run on sentences, and i'm going to college! well, the whole process was very drawn out and full of many many presentations that didn't seem that important to me. but i got done all the things i had to get done so i'm pretty much set for college. i have to work out a couple kinks in my schedule but it should all be good.

don't get me wrong, i'm not exactly expecting perfectly smooth sailing, but i'm trying to make the transition as easy as possible. you see, this is a big step for me, as with anyone, but i'm still a little nervous, though not as much as before. see i was debating whether i should go to college at all or jump right into the ministry. both sides have arguments to support them, but right now i feel as if i should at least give college a shot. if God calls me into the ministry before that, i'm down. its hard to know whether i'm doing this whole college thing because myself, my family, and society wants me to, or if that is God's will. i've had contradicting advice on which is my best plan, but ultimately its up to God.

i just pray i'm making the right choice and not choosing the world over God.

who knew wanting a college degree might pull me away from God?

i was about to go into detail about the pros and cons, and my philosophy on what either choice means, but it is too much to write at 2 am and i have to work tomorrow.

just pray that i have wisdom and am going where God wants me.

thanks to everyone who reads this/prays for me.

i need guidance...

6 comments:

Catherine said...

Ugh, I felt the exact same way before I left for college my freshman year. After the first day there, though, I knew that it was right and I was so thankful!
Just one general thing (which I know doesn't always apply in the specific). Sometimes there are pockets of Christianity that devalue education as less important than just going out there and doing ministry. But 1) you have an amazing brain and don't discount the fact that God gave you that brain and its one of the "talents" that He calls you to maximize. 2) There are SO many people who are very passionate in ministry and do have an impact for the kingdom, but they also end up teaching false things and not as effective as they could be because they haven't studied the Bible and other things (like, say, agriculture for those who want to go into feeding the hungry in the third world) with others (who God has gifted in teaching His Word) like they could have in an academic setting. That was a long complicated sentence, but I hope it made sense. :) And more importantly than any of this stuff, Jamie and I will be praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Mr Stephens...
My advice and life experience is this.
If God did not want you to attend college, you would not be going - period.
It is His will you go through this period of preparation for His plan for your life. There are no shortcuts to wisdom, and life experience is one of the best teachers (of course second to the bible).
Seek the wisdom and advice of people who care enough to listen, pray, and tell you what they think - not what you want to hear. If you're listening to people who have an alternative interest, the advice may not be good.
If you're truly struggling with this, I would suggest speaking with Garland, your father and mother, Matt, and anyone else you feel will be honest and give you advice. Be open to what they have to say.
The Potential Blog had a couple of posts about this. You may want to look through some of the posts from Troy and Raul there.

I'm always here for you if you need anything from my end.
Steve Mackey
BTW...yes, I read you BLOG

Anonymous said...

We will pray for you my friend. It is hard to know what you are doing is what He wants. Follow your heart. We will pray for you.

As for the run on sentences. I am the Master at that! no worries.

Jesse Acosta said...

bro like i have told you b4... let God be your guide. Remember my story and how i came about to geting to school for my BA in christian Ministry.

i pray that you do what God wants you to do. Not what any of us want you to do, including my self..

As for God not allowing college to be an option if he didnt want you there. I dont believe that. because of the simple fact that you can go to a university and study ministry like i am doing.

you just need to know what school and study what God wants.

you know your calling. study your calling..

it was like me trying take classes to be pre med. when i needed to be get my BA in ministry and its still a BA..

we will continue to pray for you that God be the one to guide you and nothing else...

my story is mine... you need your own..

God bless U Craiger..

U DA MAN !!!

Jesse Acosta said...

Scotss right... follow your heart.. tell God to guide it for you and follow it...

you might wonder why is jesse so into this..

bro cuz i lost 4years of my life for not listening to God... 4 years with my own business, then schoo, police academy.. and finaly gave into his will and into what he was guiding me to study...

love u craiger.. cya sunday

Jamie said...

Hey man. I think you're absolutely making the right decision.

There will be lots of time for you to be in full-time ministry. Now is the time to be equipped and trained. And - you CAN be in ministry at the same time. That's what I did! (just not full-time... until I graduated...)

I was tempted to jump into full-time worship leading when I got out of high school, since I knew that was what I wanted to do with my life. And it was hard for four years to sit in classes that I cared nothing about and do silly homework and write papers about topics I had no interest in (i.e. Sniffy the Virtual Rat...). But it was good for my maturity, my humility (I hope), my intellect, etc.

I took every opportunity I could to lead worship while in college. When I was a Junior I got a 15 hour job at The Falls Church. As I wrapped up college and was taking fewer classes, that job morped into a full-time job. Your experience will be totally different, of course, but I just want to tell you that you're making a wise decision that will make your eventual full-time ministry all the more fruitful.